Official Rules & Instructions
Friends of Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens Photo Contest 2020
Get out your cameras! FoKAG is sponsoring a new monthly photo contest highlighting the best photos you have taken at Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens now and through the rest of 2020. Each month, we will feature a new category, so return often to enter your photos!
You may submit for any and all categories before their stated submission deadline, however once the deadline has past you can not submit photos for that category. We will post the contest entries on our Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages each month for voting. The picture that receives the most “Likes” each month will be featured as our Facebook cover photo and will appear in our monthly email newsletter.
Categories & Timeline
- Submissions due by 11:59 pm EST July 22
- Voting begins July 28 at 9am and ends July 31 at 11:59 pm EST
- Winners declared August 1
August: Abstracts of Nature*
* Please note, this category may include micro-photography, interesting angles, patterns, motion, or perspectives.
- Submissions due by 11:59 pm EST August 22
- Voting begins August 28 at 9am and ends August 31 at 11:59 pm EST
- Winners declared September 1
September: Plants & Flowers (Non-Lotus)
- Submissions due by 11:59 pm EST September 22
- Voting begins September 28 at 9am and ends September 30 at 11:59 pm EST
- Winners declared October 1
- Submissions due by 11:59 pm EST October 22
- Voting begins October 28 at 9am and ends October 31 at 11:59 pm EST
- Winners declared November 1
- Submissions due by 11:59 pm EST November 22
- Voting begins November 28 9am and ends November 30 at 11:59 pm EST
- Winners declared December 1
* Deadline for entries is 11:59 p.m. EST on the last 22nd of each month.
* FoKAG will present 8 photos for voting. If we receive more than 8 photos, there will be two rounds of evaluation. To narrow to 8 photos, a board member and professional photographer will make the first cut. The final 8 will be judged by visitors to FoKAG social media. The photo with the highest amount of likes will be the winner. See timeline above for additional details.
* Open to all photographers ages 13 to adult.
* A photographer may only submit their own work.
* Entries must be taken within the grounds of Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens.
* Eligible photographs include scenic pictures of nature and wildlife. Photos with people in them will only be accepted if the photo shows the back of the subject or is taken at a distance so that the face is unrecognizable.
* Photographers may enter up to 3 photos for each category. Each photo may only be entered one time.
* Images that include a watermark or photographer’s name will not be accepted.
* Please submit images electronically in JPG format. Do not mail entries, as they will not be returned.
* Photos may not be defamatory, obscene, inappropriate, political, or contain content owned by a third party. Photos must also follow the rules of the Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens. For example, dogs in photos must be on a leash and children on bikes must be wearing a helmet.
* No photos taken from drones are permitted. Drones are not permitted by law to be flown in DC and surrounding metropolitan area.
* Final discretion on appropriateness of photos and entry into the contest rests with the staff of the FoKAG.
* Staff and board members, and family/relatives of FoKAG and National Capital Parks-East are not eligible. However, volunteers of these organizations are eligible.
*Photographers whose photos are selected for voting are encouraged to share their image with their networks, however paid advertising of any kind is prohibited.
Email your photo submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline (or call/text Megan at (202) 695-0374 for questions about submitting!) . Attach your photo(s) to the email and include the following information in the body of the email:
1. Full Name
2. Full Address
3. Email Address
- Phone Number
- Save your photo as jpg and label the file with: firstname_lastname_categoryname(lotus, wildlife, etc) i.e. Megan_Singleton_Lotus.jpg
Please note that by submitting a photo to the contest, you are agreeing to the following:
By entering the contest, entrants agree to consent in perpetuity to the use of the photograph(s) submitted for entry by Friends of Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens or any other designees of FoKAG (including any agency, client, periodical or other publication) in exchange for acknowledgement of photographer in photo credit whenever possible. This consent applies in all forms known now or in the future, in all media and in all manners, including but not limited to advertising, art, editorial, electronic and exhibition. Acceptance of submitted photos for judging is conditional upon all rules and regulations being followed by the entrant and proper identification of photo.
Winners receive bragging rights and their photo at the top of our Facebook and Twitter pages for one month. We are also working to provide winners with a unique access to Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens to take photos and meet the other winning photographers.
Please note that all of your personal information will be kept confidential and will not be shared with organizations outside of the FoKAG. Your name will appear with your photograph while entered in voting. Your other personal information will not be revealed.
This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter. You are providing your information to the FoKAG and not to Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
FoKAG does not do paid promotion of individual images in this contest, though promotion for all photographs may be done.