Official Rules & Instructions
The competition is open to all photographers, ages 18 and over, who have photographed plants, wildlife and landscape at Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens located in northeast Washington, D.C. Employees of Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens, board members of FoKAG, and their immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of those employees and board members are not eligible to enter this competition. Previous “Best in Show” winners must wait one year before participating in this competition.
- Abstracts of Nature (AN) – This category may include micro-photography, angles, patterns, motion or perspectives.
- Landscape (LS)
- Lotus (LT)
- Plants and Flowers (PF)
- Wildlife (WL)
PLEASE NOTE: ALL SUBMISSIONS MUST BE TAKEN AT KENILWORTH AQUATIC GARDENS.
The digital photographs selected by the three independent jurors will be printed, framed and displayed at Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens at our Lily Ponds Live! Concert on October 5, 2019 from 3pm-5pm. This year’s competition sponsor is Nations Photo Lab.
Each participant may enter up to four (4) digital photographs per category for consideration. Digital photographs previously submitted to the FoKAG Annual Photography Competition will not be considered.
1. Each submitted digital photograph, in its entirety, must be a single work of original material taken by the photography competition participant. By entering the photography competition, the participant represents, acknowledges and warrants that he or she has full power and authority to enter the digital photograph, and that the digital photograph does not infringe any copyright or violate any other intellectual property rights. The participant agrees to indemnify FoKAG from any and all third-party claims arising from the digital photograph.
2. The digital photograph must not, in the sole and unfettered discretion of FoKAG, contain obscene, provocative, defamatory, sexually explicit or otherwise objectionable or inappropriate content. Photographs deemed inappropriate will be disqualified.
3. Please submit digital photographs that are suitable for printing for a public display. The preferred size is 11×14 @ 300 dpi jpeg with either Adobe sRGB or Untagged color profiles.
4. Acceptable digital photograph files are color or black and white, saved as .jpeg or .jpg format.
5. No boarders, date stamp or photographer’s name/watermark may appear on the digital photographs.
6. Digital photograph(s) should be named in the following format:
- Photography category two-lettered code and (_) underscore:
- Abstracts of Nature (AN_)
- Landscape (LS_)
- Lotus (LT_)
- Plants and Flowers (PF_)
- Wildlife (WL_)
- Your initials and (_) underscore: (NOTE: If you have no middle name, please use “X” as your middle initial.)
- Sequential numbers 101, 102, 103, 104;
- File format .jpeg or .jpg.
- EXAMPLE: Ashley B. Carter’s four entries for the following categories would be named as follows:
- Wildlife (WL) – WL_ABC_101.jpg,
- Landscape (LS) – LS_ABC_102.jpg.
The entry fee is $10.00 per digital photograph or $25.00 for four (4) digital photographs. Enter as many digital photographs as you choose. There is no limit to the number of times you may enter the photography competition. Entry fees must be paid by the submission deadline of 11:59 p.m. EDT on August 31, 2019, to be eligible to win. Digital photographs are not officially entered into the photography competition, eligible for prizes or made viewable to judges until the photography competition fees are paid. Entry fees are non-refundable.
As a photography competition participant, you will retain all rights to any digital photographs you submit, including ownership if applicable.
When you submit digital photographs to enter the FoKAG Annual Photography Competition, you grant FKAG a royalty-free, nonexclusive right during the Photography Competition to:
- Display the photographs on the FoKAG website.
- Display the photograph on FoKAG social media platforms, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Allow third parties to share the photograph on the following social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest.
If your digital photograph is selected as a winner or an honorable mention, you grant FoKAG a royalty-free, nonexclusive right in perpetuity to:
- Use the digital photograph on the Internet and social media in support of its mission.
- Use the digital photograph in its internal and external communications materials, including but not limited to: websites and web publications, fact sheets, fundraising publications, advertising, multimedia materials, presentations, membership services, and annual reports.
- Provide the digital photograph to other individuals and organizations for use in print and digital media coverage, newsletters, reports, slide shows, displays, web pages, videos and the like.
- Use, in connection with the photography competition, your name, city, state and country of residence in promotions and other publications.
- Retain a digital copy of the photograph, which will be archived in the FoKAG Annual Photography Library and accessible to FKAG staff via the FoKAG internal online photography archive.
FoKAG will credit all photographs with the byline of the photographer’s name, when possible.
By submitting an entry, I declare that I am authorized as the holder of the digital photographs or photographs’ copyright (or the right to copyright) to submit said digital photographs to the FoKAG Annual Photography Competition.
I grant FoKAG permission to use my submitted digital photographs in its Annual Photography Competition and promotional materials, and for educational, research and historical record purposes. This usage includes, but is not limited to, slides, video disc, DVDs, CDs, websites, social media and any other type of mechanical, electronic or digital dissemination system. In all cases, there is no transfer of copyright from the original copyright holder. By submitting digital photographs for consideration, I declare that the digital photographs were taken at Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens.
The FoKAG Annual Photography Competition consists of two (2) rounds of evaluation. In Round One, each member of an expert panel selected by FoKAG (the “Judges”) will individually review the entries and choose a group of entries in each Photography Category to proceed to Round Two. In Round Two, the Judges will collectively select from the entries chosen in Round One the winners for each Photography Category. Best in Show will be selected from all entries. Limit one prize per winner.*
Entries will be judged on the basis of creativity, photographic quality and effectiveness in expressing the nature and landscape of Kenilworth Aquatic Gardens. Winners will be announced on the FoKAG website and social media platforms, and notified via email. Decisions of FoKAG and the Judges are final and binding. FoKAG reserves the right not to award all prizes in the event that an insufficient number of eligible entries that meet the minimum judging criteria is received, as determined by FoKAG and the Judges at their sole discretion. Please do not contact FoKAG about the status of entries or judging.
Best in Show Winner: $50 Gift Card and FoKAG Photography Gift Bag
Category Winner: $25 Gift Card and FoKAG Photography Gift Bag
Honorable Mention: FoKAG Photography Gift Bags.
SPONSOR: Nations Photo Lab
Questions related to the contest should be directed to Ms. Danita Delaney at firstname.lastname@example.org.
* if the same photographer wins both Best in Show and Landscape; wins two or more of the individual Photography Categories; is selected for honorable mention in more than one category; or is selected as honorable mention in one category and winner in another, he/she will receive only one prize.)